Please Visit Our New Website here

Friday, March 15, 2013

Our volunteers are my heroes!



Amanda's Story...
Amanda: Champions Volunteer
"One evening at Champions (our teen outreach), I went over to the Art table to draw.  One of the teen boys came over and was interested in what I was drawing. This young man also started to draw and I noticed that he was very good! He asked me to draw a portrait of him. He loved the picture and wanted to keep it. Then, he wanted to draw a portrait of me. He did a great job! I asked him to sign his picture so I could keep it. The smile on his face when I asked him to sign his art work showed me that he was happy that someone saw value in him and his art. This was an awesome moment for me!"

"Serving at Champions gives me an opportunity to serve God and others.  It also reminds me that my life is not just about myself.  I enjoy giving what I can to bless the kids!"

"I was inspired to volunteer at the DREAM Center because of the impact this ministry has on its community and the young people who attend.  I’m inspired to continue serving because of the change I see in the youth each time I serve.  For example, as more kids continue to come to the Art table, I’m getting to know them and their lives better each time."

"I would say to anyone who is considering joining the volunteer team at the DREAM Center that this is a great opportunity to serve.  It is also a great way to feel a part of a family of volunteers who not only give of themselves to the community, but are also there for each other."

Bill's Story...
Bill: Lunch Outreach Volunteer
"The most rewarding part of serving the young men at the Lunch Outreach is connecting with them as they share the challenges they face in life.  As I sit down to have a meal with them, you can often see and feel the hopelessness they are faced with. But, seeing their faces light up when we arrive is almost like they’re saying "I can't believe your back and that you care!" God's unconditional love is amazing! If you love the lost, but you can't volunteer, consider supporting this ministry financially. This ministry can be your hands and feet in the city of East St. Louis.  The rewards are great!  God gets all of the glory! And the work gets done!"

Rosie's Story...
Rosie: Lunch Outreach Volunteer
"The most rewarding part of the Lunch Outreach is having the opportunity to serve and remind young men that there is hope. In the housing projects of East St. Louis, there are so many obstacles where little hope and great disparity are present. Many of these guys face crime, drug abuse, joblessness, peer pressure and a number of events that perpetuate their situations.

"When I see the guys’ spiritual growth and development from this ministry, I get filled with joy just in knowing that they’re not only coming for the meals, but they come to share stories, recipes, get opinions, to receive prayer and they look forward to giving us hugs before leaving the group.  Some of the guys even help with set up and tear down! Just recently one young man actually said a prayer over the meal for the group. AMAZING!!"

"I reflect on the times when I see these young men progress from, “I see you,” with a head nod to greeting us with a hug, requesting prayer and departing with, “See you next time.” The Lunch Outreach has allowed me the greatest opportunity to bond with so many guys who need to know that Jesus cares and through that, they can hope, love and even dare to dream."

"Those who are thinking of volunteering should give this ministry serious consideration because it is by far a very rewarding call. As a volunteer, I personally find this ministry to be educational, an opportunity for personal growth and a constant reminder of how others live."

"If you’re not able to volunteer, your financial support will make a difference in helping us to feed and offer spiritual support to others. This is a unique ministry designed to actually meet people where they are (even in the housing projects) and connect to Jesus Christ through prayer, food, and service."

"Either as a volunteer or a financial supporter, this is an investment in people. Everyone can benefit , especially when lives are changed"

No comments: