Please Visit Our New Website here

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Make NEW Friends, But Keep The OLD

If you've been a part of the DREAM Center for any length of time, I'm sure you've heard me frequently speak of the first kids I ever met in East St. Louis. They're such an important piece of the history and future of this ministry, that you'll probably always hear me re-telling their story.  

 
All relationships have seasons of togetherness or occasions where spending quality time with each other seems easier. Thankfully, this happens to be a season where my family, friends and I have been able to spend more time with these precious young people.    

They are all in their mid-20's now. The first day I showed up on their doorstep, they were between the ages of 6 and 12. We have been a part of each other's lives through many highs and lows. They lost their Dad when they were young children, then their Mom passed away when they were only teenagers.     

These young people have been through hell and back; yet, when I look at their lives now, you wouldn't be able to tell. One of the girls has finished nursing school and is a faithful and stable Mama. One of the boys is almost finished with his Bachelor's Degree in Juvenile Justice. And the other boy has a Bachelor's Degree in Juvenile Justice, is working on his Master's Degree, recently got married and has a baby on the way. I'm so proud of them and proud of God and what He has done with their lives!   

A few months ago I was having lunch with one of the boys. He found out I was soon moving to a new neighborhood and without even asking him to help, his immediate response was,
"Rach, give me a date, time and address. I want to help, there's no question about that! And I'll get my brother to help too."

 

A few days later, his brother called me and said, "I need a date and time for when you're moving. I'm gonna specifically ask off from work to come help." I was floored by the generosity of these two young men!  

At the Dream Center, as staff, volunteers or financial supporters, we make an investment in the life of a young person in East St. Louis, not to get something in return. We do it because we believe in that young person and the potential God has placed within them. But more often than not, over time (sometimes a long period of time), these young people end up turning around and making an investment in our lives.

  donate_now_blue2.gif

These two young men showed up to help me move on a very cold winter's day, after taking public transportation and walking a chunk of the way. They were the hardest workers in the group and stayed till the very end. I was so blessed by their sacrifice and all of those who were there that day thoroughly enjoyed their company!  

Since then, we (friends and family) have planned a few gatherings to spend time with these amazing young people. More than anything, they end up encouraging and inspiring us instead of the other way around!  

 

The title of this blog post was inspired by a friend who posted a photo to her Instagram feed. It was a photo of herself and her friends. This hashtag was written below the photo...

#makenewfriends #butkeeptheold

What a powerful thought!  

Maybe there are old friends in your life that you sense a stirring in your heart to reconnect with. I can almost guarantee you, that stirring is from God! It would be easy to make a quick phone call or grab a cup of coffee together. OR, maybe there are new friends out there, who just can't wait to meet someone like you! Friendships are worth making, keeping and cultivating.

Thank you for being a friend to the East St. Louis DREAM Center, whether through prayer, volunteering, donating or encouraging. We need you to do the part that God is nudging you to do. THANK YOU! 

If you're not a financial supporter of the DREAM Center and would like to become one, donations can be made on our Secure On-line Giving Page by clicking the button below, by giving on our web site OR by mailing a check to the address at the bottom of this email.

donate_now_blue2.gif  
LOVING East St. Louis
Rachel and the DREAM Center Team 

No comments: