Please Visit Our New Website here

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Exploring East St. Louis on a Bike



This morning, I was walking through the halls here at Nebula Co-working and I ran into a guy carrying his skateboard. We started chatting. He found out about our work in East St. Louis and said, “I was just riding my bike there the other day.” My jaw dropped, because only once in the seventeen years that I’ve been doing outreach in ESL, have I heard someone say they’ve ridden their bike in ESL and it was another person who works here at Nebula. These adventurers are pioneering new territory and instead of fearing East St. Louis, they have decided to explore it. As my new friend and I continued talking, he said something along these lines, “East St. Louis is this mysterious city that no one wants to go to, but as an artist it's a boundary line I need to cross." As I walked away from this conversation, I was inspired to know that there are people out there who maybe haven’t heard the best things about ESL, but still see potential and “art” in the city, enough potential to go exploring the city on a bike. (RB)

No comments: